Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Outdated Updates Updated - The One About Isabella Tan

The long anticipated wait for Little Miss Isabella Tan ended on 23 August 2006 when at 7.18pm, I got an sms from the mother of the little girlie, Sophia, declaring one victorious word, "Delivered!"

So the Honey Bun-neeey and I popped by the hospital to visit both mommy and girlie. Sophia was doing well and was up on her feet already. After giving us the details of her labour (must make mental note: never discuss details of labour before dinner), she introduced Isabella and like every proud mommy, she pointed out how Isabella's taken on the unflattering genes from each side. The cutie apparently has Wei Yi's eyes, Sophia's nose and is a wee bit hairy. I offered to give the little darling advice on waxing when the time was right. Sophia wasn't enthused.

Back in the hospital room, Wei Yi and The Honey Bun-neeey were exchanging views and reviews of apparently very stimulating books on history. Wei Yi majored in Political Science and The Honey Bun-neeey did History at Uni. Perfect. So while they furrowed eyebrows over this and that date in history when the Allied Forces took over XXX country, I was slowly feeling the blood drain from me. Thank God for Sophia or I'd be a bloodless Wee Yapper, because the two of us then started talking girlie stuff.

In all, it was a really lovely visit and we were glad to see that both Isabella and Sophia were healthy and doing well.

But in the meantime, The Honey Bun-neeey and I were discussing names for our kids (in future). Yes, remember, we are talking about two people who have got most of their wedding details completed and checked off the list when their wedding is in Sept 2007 (Afternote: the wedding has been brought forward to June 2007...more of that later). So it shouldn't surprise you that we're talking kids names when they are years from being in the picture.

I realised it was far easier shopping for girls names than boys names.

Me: Elizabeth? Catherine? Very regal eh?
He: Too common

What if it's a boy?

He: Leon. It's French!
Me: Might work if we're in France but not in an English-speaking Australia.

The pronounciation would just be bastardised and any ounce of romanticism in that name would have been yanked out, trampled on deep into the ground. And it really doesn't go with The Honey Bun-neeey's family name.

He: Joseph?
Me: I like the sounds of it. (finally! an agreement!)
He: Yeah, it'll probably get shortened to Joe by his mates at school or work.
Me: Joe?? No. That would be way too common. Like Tom, Dick or Harry.

As you may have guessed, no conclusion has been reached. We have time. But how much time?

I've always wanted to have 5 years of marital bliss before the kids come along (and exhaust us to the point of zero couple-time and romance quotient). And this 5-year plan would be perfect given that The Honey Bun-neeey and Wee Yapper have a long distance relationship (up until the point of marriage) and would need to spend some couple time to ourselves before thinking of expanding the family.

But there's a wee little thing called Age that's working against us. When we get married next year, he will be 36 and I will be 31. If you're good at math, and if we go by the 5-year plan, we'll be 41 and 36 respectively by the time our first child comes along. Not good.

1) Given the countless studies made of women in their late thirties having children, there is an unhealthy number of them who have had difficult pregnancies or complications.

2) The child may be at a higher risk of a host of health problems.

3) As parents, The Honey Bun-neeey and the Wee Yapper will be gasping for air trying to keep up with their child as they play ball in the backyard (if we have one!) because by then, I'd be pushing forty and The Honey Bun-neeey would be looking at his retirement years!

4) The Honey Bun-neeey and the Wee Yapper will need to be wheeled to their child's graduation. From pre-school.

Erm....it does look like I'm going to have to re-think this 5-year plan because I'm not in a position to be selfish. But is it being selfish to want time to ourselves, a luxury we don't/didn't have as a couple in a long-distance relationship? Maybe a 3-year plan?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have condsidered Isabella before. Next one girl or boy, just call Isagong, sound unisex. Isabella, i think origin is Italian. Hebrews means devoted to God, but can also mean beautiful one. As for Isagong, (if your friend is Indian) then it means Devoted to Mother but can also mean gong gong (stupid) one.