Sunday, July 23, 2006

Out of Touch

What happens when you get a call from a girlfriend whom you haven't heard in ages? Wouldn't you be thrilled??? I would have been too. Except, she opened the conversation with "You are THE MOST DIFFICULT WOMAN to reach!!!!" Naturally, I was annoyed. It felt like an accusation was being thrown my way. Etiquette bestsellers (has any etiquette book made it as a bestseller??) don't tell you this but you don't open a conversation with that.

Apparently she had been trying to reach me since April but I always missed her calls. I thought that was just a tad bit strange because if she had been trying to reach me on my mobile phone, I know I'd have missed her call. Perhaps she always called from her office, which then would have been difficult to trace because it's a running line and not a direct number. But that brought me to my next question. Why didn't she sms me then??? She tried evading this question which I found a wee bit odd.

I remember waiting for her to get back to me about meeting up with my Honey Bun-neeey when he was last here in April but she never did. I distinctly recall the mild disappointment in my voice when I told my Honey Bun-neeey that I hadn't heard from her nor her husband. But we brushed it off, attributing the fact that it would be hard to fix up something with them to the short time that my HB was going to be in Singapore.

Coming back to the conversation with this friend in question, it didn't get off to a great start and it left a sour aftertaste in my mouth. I didn't understand her behaviour during the conversation. It was friendly, but it was accusational nonetheless. Was she trying to pull a fast one to mask the fact that she had been out of touch? Why? Is this all because she's embarrassed to say that she fell out of touch for a while? I would see no reason to be embarrassed. I think we have reached an age where we understand and respect that each one of us have got our own thing going that keeping in touch, is although a constant, doesn't have to be as regular as it was. I respect that, especially with this particular friend. She's recently married so I understand that she's got new perspectives in her life now and it's important for her to spend time working on her relationship that has just entered a new level.

So there is no need for this drama. Being out of touch is not an issue. The fact that a friend does call means much more. It shows that although he or she has been busy, you're not forgotten.

No comments: